Sunday, May 10, 2009

El Carrete

Chileans take their nightlife very seriously. There is even a special word for it, "el carrete." Basically, you go to the bar around midnight, hang out for a little, then go to the club at around 2. Seriously, the clubs are empty before 1:30. You stay at the club until it closes (sometime between 4:30 and 5) and then get something to eat, usually a completo (hot dog smothered in mayo, avocado and tomato--super gross) or McDonald's. Then you go home and sleep in til the next afternoon. This usually occurs on Friday and Saturday nights, although really Chileans will go out on any day of the week. Not to say I do this all the time--I've only been out that late twice this semester--but it sure is a lot of fun, even when you go home early (aka 3).

Most of the places are either reggaeton or American 80s music. The artists you are guarenteed to hear at a Chilean club are Madonna, KC, and the Bee Gees. Michael Jackson gets a good amount of air time as well. I'm not a big fan of the reggaeton, and as much as I like the 80s, I do miss good ol' hip-hop.

This weekend we rented out a small bar for Julie's bday. We all dressed up in ridiculous 80s clothes and danced to 80s music/Taylor Swift (cause she was born in the 80s)(barely). It was a pretty sweet time. It's going to be weird back in the States going out at 10pm.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sry that was my comment before..but I was logged into my Finanzas account obviously..
    I just wanted to say something along the lines of Chileans know how to do it right (carrete, that is) : )

    ReplyDelete