Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Jobs and such

I have really good news! Two items, actually, although one was expected. First, I finally got an internship (for credit) here in Santiago. I'm working with Julie Munro and Mary Hansen for a professor at our university. We'll be researching ways to green UDP and the potential for alternative energies in Chile. I'm excited about it, it sounds really interesting. I will probably be starting it next Tuesday, although Edmundo's real laid back so who knows.

The other item is that I got the job I applied to for the next school year!!! I'm going to be the Program Associate for the University College class The Sustainable Earth. Now, you may be asking yourself, "what do all those big vague words mean?" because I was. The UC is a program at AU for incoming freshmen. They all take one class together, live on the same floor, and do activities related to the class. It's supposed to inspire community. I will be the experienced student assisting with the class, living on the floor with them, and planning said activities. I get free housing and a $1,000 stipend each semester. I'm super excited! As much as I want to move off campus, this sounds like a job I will love. Plus, I get to work closely with my favorite person Kiho Kim. Let me give a shout-out to everyone who helped with my application/gave me moral support when my interviewer was out of the office for my interview (i actually never even interviewed--either i was the only one who applied or they take Dr. B's nomination very seriously). So I basically have jobs lined up from now until next May. Go me! : D

Other than that, things have been pretty calm around here. I haven't done much besides go to classes and do homework, but that's college life. My family had an asado on Saturday. It's basically a cookout (Katherine) with an overwhelming amount of food. They literally had a pile of raw meat. A bunch of family I hadn't met came over, so that was fun. After dinner they had a giant poker game, but since I don't know how to play and didn't want to lose my money I sat out.

On Sunday I walked over to Pueblo de los Dominicos, a large artisan craft market a convenient half hour's walk from my house. It had a bunch of shop with cool but expensive items, but a few of you may be getting souvenirs from there. There were also dancers from Isla de Pascua doing some traditional something or other, I couldn't really understand them. To be honest, I spent most of the time trying to figure out whether or not the guy had anything on under his grass skirt. Conclusion: I imagine he would have something on, but I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of cheek, so maybe not.

That's it for this week. Not very interesting, I know, but next post will be great. I'm going to Pucón this weekend with Amanda and some of her friends from Viña. It's a small town in southern Chile with a lot of outdoorsy-type things to do, such as white water rafting, horseback riding, and climbing the nearby volcano. If I don't make it back, I love all of you, except for the one. You know who you are.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, I am so incredibly proud of you and happy for you. Both jobs sound perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete